One thing they are looking for are engineers (women or men, but women would be great) to help with the events and be mentors. Below are some of the key dates, activities, and types of volunteering role.
Key Dates & Activities:
- January 16th - Initial meeting
- This is when they will go over the majority of the information and have girls start discussing and drawing their designs.
- This would be a 2.5-3 hour time commitment.
- January 30th - Finalize drawings and get drawings approved
- The teams would come with their drawings done.
- Mentors will review them, make suggestions and approve the final drawing.
- Girls will be given their bridge building kits and start on building if they have time.
- This would be about 2 hours.
- February 13th - Optional day
- Girls to come get help with bridge building and get questions answered.
- February 27th - Testing and STEM festival day.
- They will be testing each bridge to find the break load and plan to have different groups and individuals come in and have STEM booths.
So here's the types of volunteers they are looking for:
- Bridge Building / Examples
- She is looking for adults to make bridges that they can have completed before January 16th.
- These would be entered into the 'adult' or 'professional' division and to give girls some ideas to start with.
- A kit would be provided and you'd have until January 16th to build a bridge.
- She needs folks to be mentors.
- The idea is that each group of 2-3 girls will have a mentor assigned to them, each mentor will have 3-4 groups (depending on how many groups and mentors they get).
- They want to be sure the girls are doing the drawing and designs, but they want a mentor to help out by answering questions, making suggestions and making sure the drawings and design seem reasonable.
- This would be a commitment to be at the events on January 16th and 30th for up to 3 hours each day.
- STEM Festival February 27th
- They are also looking for companies or groups to host booths at the STEM festival.
- They are going to invite all Girl Scouts in the area and families and friends.
- This will likely be 4 ours or more and is still in the planning stages
If you could contact Erica Fifer by November or December 2015, that would be great.