PechaKucha is a simple presentation format where you show 20 images, each for 20 seconds, for a total of 6 minutes and 40 seconds. The images advance automatically and you talk along to the images.
In Session 1, we introduced the style, discussed several TEDx talks, did a quick on-the-fly demo/practice run, and finally brainstormed topics that could be done in this style. You can watch the replay of the full session here or just the SWE PNW PechaKucha demo deck here.
And here is the list of References & Resources that we discussed:
- PechaKucha homepage: http://www.pechakucha.org/
- PechaKucha FAQ: http://www.pechakucha.org/faq
- TEDx Talk: How PechaKucha Changed My Life: Eddie Selover at TEDxOrlando
- TEDx Talk: PechaKucha: Mark Dytham and Astrid Klein at TEDxTokyo
- TEDx Talk: Pecha Kucha "designing space" | Nicole Hollway | TEDxGatewayArchSalon
- PechaKucha Playlist: Popular Videos - PechaKucha & TED Talks (video)
Looking for some ideas to help get you started on you first PechaKucha presentations? Here's the topic brainstorming from Session 1:
- executive summary of technical topic
- use the style to present a technical challenge to colleagues to start brainstorming
- Event recap or report
- Focus on an area of SWE PNW and give more info
- Tell us your SWE Story
- Conference recap (Society, Regional, WE Local, recent, flash back, non-swe)
- my summer/holiday vacation
- Family traditions
- Where I Grew Up (Hometown)
- Why I Like ______ (TV/Book/Movie/hobby/etc)
- A day in the life _____ (of my pet, on the job, my kids, etc)
While we were able to have the second sessions (timing didn't work for some of our presenters), we hope to have an online session for PechaKucha presentations in the future. We encourage you to keep an eye out for these events and the replays!
Article By: Theresa Krack, FY17 Section Representative & Virtual Brand Coordinator